Thursday, February 14, 2013

The Genius of God

          Since it's Valentine's Day, it seems only appropriate to start this thing off about the one who loves like no other. He's the Great Thesis of everything else that I write. And I think it's important to keep Him in his place: first. 
          When I was younger, I came across the scripture that said, "Without the shedding of blood, there is no remission of sins." And I, being a reasoning and curious person felt a giant "why?" swelling up inside. When God finally put the full picture together for me, I was absolutely amazed at his genius. What he showed me is what I wanted to tell you guys about.
          
          The first thing that God pointed out to me was that He was both merciful AND just. When I stopped to think about it, I realized (or, rather, he let me realize), that these two qualities usually don't go together. I'll explain.
          Let's say you borrowed $3 from me. If I make you pay that $3 back then I'm just, but I'm not merciful. If I forgive the debt then I'm merciful, but I'm no longer just because the debt hasn't been paid. What's so amazing about this simple thought is that God found a way to fulfill BOTH justice AND mercy.
          
          After I understood that, God showed me my debt. Romans 6 says that the wages of sin is death. And death is the forfeiting of life. So when we sin, we have earned a debt. What we owe is our lives. We have to hand them back over. Then, God showed me in Leviticus where he was instructing Israel to not eat animals with their blood still in them. He said that we "… shall not eat animals with the blood still in it, for the LIFE IS IN THE BLOOD. Therefore, we shall not eat animals with LIFE still in them". (I tried to quote as closely as I could from memory, lol)
          This was the key. God had answered my question. When we sin, we owe our life. And the life is in the blood. That's why there is no remission of sins without the shedding of blood. And that's why there were temple sacrifices set in place. They were there to point straight to Jesus.
          That is why Jesus had to be a man. We sinned against God and our blood was owed because of it. Jesus came with no debt and paid ours for us with his own perfect blood. God is just and, therefore, has to make sure that every bit of the law he put in place is fulfilled. And in his genius, he found a way to do that AND forgive us of our debt. But He didn't just forgive us, He adopted us.
          
          So God had taught me why Jesus had to come as a man. Naturally, my next question was obvious. Why did Jesus have to also be God? The answer was also in Leviticus. 
          
          When God was saving Israel from slavery in Egypt, he used plagues as a great sign to Pharaoh. The final sign he used was the death of all the firstborn throughout the country. He instructed Israel to slay a sheep and paint the blood above their doors, and the angel would pass over their houses, sparing their firstborn. Down the road, when God was setting up the temple activities, He told Israel to give all their firstborns to Him for service in the temple. Then, as an illustration of Jesus, God told Israel that he wanted the tribe of Levi INSTEAD of their firstborns.
          When I kept reading, the answer to my question was evident. Each individual Levite took the place of ONE firstborn. This legally illustrated the obvious: that one man is equal to one man. So if Jesus had just been a man, and not also God, then he would have earned the forgiveness of ONE LUCKY DUDE! But God's life is of infinite worth, so he could, therefore, earn the forgiveness of ALL mankind.
          
          So Jesus, being both a man AND God, is the only one who can save us. I hope this excites you as much as it excites me. We were dead men and God didn't just leave us there. He put his genius to work and came up with the perfect plan to save us. Now, all we have to do is accept the offer.

9 comments:

  1. Very nice! I love how you worded it, it's different from your average Sunday Sermon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post for valentine's day. When you stop to think about how much God loves us and the lengths He went to in order to save us, you really can't be sad on this day, even if you're single! The Creator of the universe LOVES US! Best love story ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for writing it down, although I already know and believe it.
    It's just nice how you cut right to the chase of the matter (got it from dict.cc, bc I'm German, hope it's correct lol)
    Praise our God for what he did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was great Jeremy. Very clear and simple! =) We have an awesome Lord!

    Here is my post today on FB.
    The Greatest Valentine of all in my life..... My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ... He loves me so much that He gave His life for me so that I can have forgiveness for my sin and I can spend eternity in heaven with Him, God the Father, Holy Spirit. Thank You Lord Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that really made me think. I never heard it said in such a simple, precise and meaningful way. I feel like I have been squandering God's gift for me lately, and this really helped me to put things into perspective. And wow, I never before thought how it is a miracle in itself that God is both just and merciful. Anyways, thanks for sharing this! I think it's so cool you are taking the time to write to us from occasion to occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow dude way to freakin rip it up! I mean that in a good way of course. Lol. Seriously you approach to the gospel is very accssable and thourough and thats something that can be hard to do some times, your break down was on point though. I especially liked you analogy of borrowing three dollars to explain the justice vs. mercy delhema and how those are qualities that humans cant posses at the same time but God can and He shows us that through what Jesus did on the cross. I got pumped reading that man, Jesus excites me too brother! Thanks so much for taking time out of you Valentines Day with your Wife to post this, I really appreciate you sharing your thought and what God's been showing you with us man it truly is a blessing. Reading this makes me miss you and the rest of the crew and your passion for Christ all the more. I hope you had a romantic and special day with Julie, Willow and I love you guys and cant wait to see all again soon

    ReplyDelete
  7. And also since its Valentines Day and we are talking about Jesus here figured Id share this article with you and everyone else reading this. Valentine was a man who was put to death for following Christ, so how did he come to be associated with chocolate, hearts & a secret known by a woman named Victoria? Find out here: ow.ly/hGGTf (And please let me know if the link doesnt work here, Ill repost it) I would love to hear your response to this my brother. PS My apologies for all the typos on my last comment, my phone was being dumb and wouldnt let me proof read so there were a lot of thing that needed to be edited but I couldnt. Lol. Anyways I hope you can still make sense of it all right

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to put it together! That really sums it up! Are you sure you weren't also meant to be a pastor and singer all in one?!! This is exciting to hear!! Can't wait for your next blog subject!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. You starting this blog has inspired me to continue mine, but this time with meaning and without useless prattle. Just the thought that you guys are so strong in faith helps me in the middle of the week when church and youth group seems so far away. You guys have an burning light. I urge you to keep on showing the beauty of Christ through your songs and writing.
    Blesses and prayers from Hungary.

    ReplyDelete